Fourmile Creek (City of Freeport and Walton County) - Designated: 2012
Settlement in the Fourmile Creek area started about 1830 when settlers were attracted to the natural harbor of LaGrange Bayou located near the eastern end of Choctawhatchee Bay and the mouth of the Choctawhatchee River. The protected waters of the bay provided safe harbor during storms and the waterfront areas had an abundance of wild game and fish. During the Civil War, Fourmile Landing began to be referred to as "Freeport", literally because there was no charge to dock at the port area at the junction of Fourmile Creek and LaFayette Creek. Today, Fourmile's vision balances the rights of individual residential and business property owners with the needs of the general public for access to water resources. The Fourmile Creek Waterfront Vision is the stepping stone for revitalization of the area and is aimed at starting the economic engine that will promote responsible growth for Freeport and Walton County.
- Latilda Henninger, Program manager
Studies and Documents