To be eligible for service under the Dislocated Worker Program an individual must:
- Have been terminated, laid off, or notified of layoff
- Be eligible for or have exhausted Unemployment Compensation Benefits or has worked long enough to establish an attachment to the Labor Market AND
- Be unlikely to return to his/her previous occupation or job
Dislocated workers may also be individuals who are laid off due to:
- Plant closures or substantial layoffs at a plant or facility
- Employment at a facility at which the employer has made a general announcement that that facility will close
Also included as Dislocated Workers are self-employed individuals, farmers, ranchers, and fishermen who are unemployed due to economic conditions or a natural disaster.
Displaced Homemakers who have been dependent on the income of another family member and are no longer receiving that support and who are unemployed or underemployed and having difficulty in obtaining work or upgrading employment are also considered dislocated workers.