Planning analysts in the Bureau of Comprehensive Planning regularly assist local governments with land use planning issues, including planning for economic development. The Bureau's planning analysts are available by telephone or will travel to a local government to assist with planning endeavors. In addition, the Bureau's planning analysts can direct a local government to the appropriate resource if an issue is beyond the Department of Economic Opportunity's (DEO) expertise or requires coordination with partner agencies. There is no cost associated with seeking DEO's technical planning assistance. For more information, please contact the planning analyst assigned to your local government (see Staff Contacts (By County and Municipality).
Technical Assistance Grants
Beginning in Fiscal Year 2011/2012, the Department, through the Bureau of Comprehensive Planning, received legislatively appropriated funds to provide Technical Assistance Grants to local governments and regional planning councils. The purpose of the grants is to assist counties and municipalities in developing economic development strategies, meeting the requirements of the Community Planning Act, addressing critical local planning issues, and promoting innovative planning solutions to challenges identified by local government applicants. Technical Assistance Grants are for one fiscal year and are awarded on a fixed rate price (deliverables identified in a grant agreement must be approved by the Bureau before money is disbursed to the recipient). Typical awards have been $25,000, more or less.
By way of example, projects funded to date have included the following:
- Developing a Comprehensive Plan Economic Development Element
- Comprehensive Plan Updates Based on Changes in Growth Management Laws
- Comprehensive Plan Updates Based on Outstanding Evaluation and Appraisal Report / Evaluation and Appraisal Review
- Community Redevelopment Area (CRA) Plan and Finding of Necessity Reports
- Economic Diversification Strategies
- Establishing a "Mainstreet" Program
- Land Development Regulation Updates
- Neighborhood Plans
- Recreation Master Plan
- Urban Design Master Plan
If additional Technical Assistance Grant funding becomes available in the future, a funding announcement will be provided on this website.
For further information regarding technical assistance grants, please contact:
- Nia Clark, Planning Analyst
- Department of Economic Opportunity
- Bureau of Community Planning
- 107 East Madison Street, MSC 160
- Tallahassee, FL 32399-4120
- Phone: 850-717-8492
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Florida's Rural Economic Development Initiative (REDI) agencies have a range of programs and services that support rural development, focus state resources on rural issues, and assist rural businesses in making the appropriate connections to federal, state, and local organizations.
- Florida Resource Directory - Find and access sources of state and many federal programs for assistance. Examples include: infrastructure projects, housing, health services, training, and small business and tourism development assistance.